Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Really Useful Attitude

No matter what you do or where you live, the quality of your attitude determines the quality of your relationships—not to mention just about everything else in your life. I have been using the same bank branch for the last eight years. From time to time, someone I've never heard of before sends me a letter (spelling my name wrong) to tell me what a pleasure it is to have me as a special customer. No matter how hard they try to
improve their "personalized" service, however, banks are pretty much the same all over, and my bank is really
no different from the rest. So why do I still bank there even though two new, competing banks have recently opened much closer to where I live? Convenience? Obviously not. Better rates? Nope. More services? No. It's none of these things. It's Joanne, one of the tellers. What does Joanne offer that the institution can't? She makes me feel good. I believe she cares about me, and other customers feel the same way about her. You can tell by the way they talk with her. This charming lady brightens up the whole place. How does Joanne do it? Simple. She knows what she wants: to please the customers and do her job well. She has a Really Useful Attitude or, to be more precise, two fully congruent Really Useful Attitudes. She is both cheery and interested, and everybody benefits: me the customer, her colleagues, her company, no doubt her family and, above all, herself. What Joanne sends out with her Really Useful Attitude comes back to her a thousandfold and becomes a joyous, self-fulfilling reality. And it doesn't cost a cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment